My oldest son, Stephen, sent me email link concerning the danger of Croc brand shoes. Apparently, a 4-year-old boy in Northern Virginia injured his foot on an escalator when one of his Crocs got trapped. The article cautions Croc (and Croc rip-offs) wearers to be careful of entrapment dangers with these shoes- especially with young children.
This follows another recent media article from the BBC concerning the danger of Crocs- this time in hospitals. Many hospitals have banned Crocs worn by their medical staff, stating a health and safety risk. Specifically, the BBC article writes, safety and infection dangers includes needles and blood being dropped and falling through the holes of the shoes. Interesting enough, a Swedish hospital banned Crocs, citing that static electricity generated had the potential to disrupt medical equipment.
Many of you know that I’ve worn Crocs well before the general population caught onto them. In fact, they used to be so ugly, yet functional, that they were rather cool until I spotted them in a shopping center, airport kiosk and on that old man worn with white tube socks and shorts. Thus said, I still wear them while standing for long hours quilting, and I love my brown Mary Jane style ones. They have also work well on my many yacht trips, though they were the subject of debate among the crew.
The shoe grips so well, that the wearer could easily trip. This did happen to one of the yacht owners during a Bahamian trip last year. She tripped while boarding the boat, had a serious fall, then needed to be taken to the hospital for medical treatment. This event lead to a heated discussion between the Pro-Croc crowd and the Anti-Croc faction.
Are Crocs a safety hazard or is it just a load of Croc? (Sorry, I just could resist saying that! LOL) Do you prefer reading the blog, “I Hate Crocs Dot Com” or “Little Rubber Shoes .com (formerly CrocFans.com)?”
If you have an opinion, just leave a comment. I would love to hear from both sides.