My goal is to lead a more creative life. How does one go about this? After all, there are no classes on how to be more creative in your day-to-day life. So I decided to give you some “Carla Tips” for improving your creativity.
- Notice the details. Creative inspiration in your art, quilting, or craft is all around you if you look more closely. I find quilting and drawing ideas in my carpet, bedspread, catalogs, museums, in books and on buildings. When I go on vacation, I love to take close-up shots of interesting details on buildings, windows, or even natural texture.
- Keep a journal. This could be a quilting journal, a design sketch journal, or a place where you simply express yourself in writings and art. Yes, doodling is allowed!
- Take a walk. Some of my best creative ideas are worked out or thought about while taking a walk. Besides improving my health, I’m spending time thinking up creative ideas and solutions.
- Do something creative each day. Even if you have 5 minutes, spend time each day on a creative pursuit. Not only will this relax you and make you feel productive, you will be a happier person for your effort.
- Listen to music while you work. I find that listening to music relaxes me and contributes to the ambiance of enhancing my creative brain. Try it and see.
Yes, I actually do the above tips on a daily basis. I find that Tip #4 is essential to a positive outlook on life. Seriously, doing something creative is a soothing balm to a stressful life. Your kids drive you crazy? Go make something. Your pet throws up on your carpet? Pull out your colors and a pad of paper- (be sure clean up first, of course since vomit smells would certainly reduce my creative harmony! LOL)
I’ll leave you with a creative sketch of a fish:
My advice for the day is to go do something creative today. You know you want to do it!