I’ve been enjoying the holiday weekend with my family. The state fair was fun to attend, Joe and the kids were troopers when I drug them through the art exhibits and quilt (home arts) section. Perhaps this was because the buildings were air conditioned and it was well over 100 degrees outside. Anyway, I appreciated their patience!
I made some artistic and functional design decisions on the bag and changed up the leaves on the front, also added one on the back, seen here- front and back:
The painted/stitched leaves were incredibly easy to make. I simply cut some leaf shapes out of thick interfacing, similar to fast2fuse or similar product. I initially was going to paint it and then torch it with my heat gun to further distress it. Then I realized I had grabbed the non-fusible interfacing by mistake, so I just went with it. (both of those experiments will be a later project!).
Now it is time to paint the leaves with any paint on hand. You can tell from the picture that I used the cheap acrylic paint I had on hand. I did not have the right shades to match the fabrics in the purse, so I simply mixed my own colors:
For a realistic look, be sure to darken the colors where you will be stitching. Let dry. Next step is to stitch your leaf veins using a variegated thread- I used Rainbow by Superior. No need to use a walking foot even.
To attach to your project, you can stitch it down by hand or add a grommet and hang it off- which was my decision for the back purple leaf.
I expect this purse will get lots of use, so I will use both methods of attaching on the front tri-leaves. The button is simply a decorative element to hide the leaf stems.
Time to move on to the next project now. This one was fun! If anyone makes their own crochet bag, please be sure to send me a picture!
Enjoy your day! Regards, Carla